Fresh Air Vent part II!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fresh Air Vent part II!
From: David Hall <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 95 9:33:49 PDT
Hello All!

I found the drain hole.  It was complete covered up at the top.  Looked
exactly like the bottom of the compartment!  Cleaned the top out, jacked
up the side of the car, crawled underneath and began cleaning from the
bottom.  Coathanger in hand I began to clean.  The slit is quite narrow, and
the going was slow, so I pulled out a flathead, put it in the slit, and
turned it sideways.

I must have gotten rought 1/2 cup of dirt out of that pipe!  Water now
drains quite well!

Now for the question:

Why did they put this narrow slit on the bottom anyhow?  why not just
put a larger hole or something?

My hypothesis:

The narrow slit keeps engine fumes from flowing up into the fresh air
vent.  (This would only have impact if _ALL_ of the holes in the
firewall were plugged, and airtight!

Whatcha think?

Dave