RE: 1951 MGTD Restoration

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1951 MGTD Restoration
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 08:21:00 PDT
It's the battery - without a doubt. Even though the battery can measure 12
volts with little or no load (it should be around 14), I'd bet that the
voltage drops significantly when you try to start it. This may not be enough
to turn the starter. If the starter does turn, it may not leave enough to
produce a decent spark through the coil. I've seen it happen on numerous
occasions.

Regards
Lew Palmer
lew@uci.com

I am about to complete a three year ground up restoration of a 51TD.  I am
have some trouble starting the rebuilt engine.  Here is the situation: the
battery will not crank the engine, but it shows 12 volts and all the
accessories and the fuel pump runs; when I switch on the ignition, the
voltage drops to 7.5 volts; my new car battery will not crank the TD either;
however, when I jump start it (i.e., with the engine of the second car
running) the TD starts and runs fine.

What is wrong?  Any ideas.

Larry Swift