Re: Meboe is right!

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Meboe is right!
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 12:54:38 -0400
ray writes:
>I had driven it to work, so I looked.  There the little thing is, hanging
>like a mechanical uvula behind the crank pulley, dead center on the bottom
>(it looked a lot like a multifaceted oil drop).  What a wonderful place
>for it; you need pretty long arms to adjust the timing.  Now, either the car
is running with >the timing 60 -120 degrees advanced or retarded, which seems
fairly improbable, or >mayhap there's a rubber layer in the pulley that has
slipped.  Just because I am curious, I'll >check the static timing as soon as
I have time, and see what I get

Ray,Ray,Ray, Thou hast offended the Britcar Gods greatly for insulting the
great mechanism of Timing, ordained to keep man in his rightful position,
prone under the car, instead of that arrogant posture of hovering over its'
top with a strange flashing device of the devil.

Really, all Bs prior to Really Bad Smog Gear were designed to be static
timed, which once you develop the proper technique, (plugs out, car in gear,
now pull it forward until either you run over your own leg or the mark is
aligned with the "mechanical uvula" as you so aptly put it) it really is
profoundly simple to do.
Methinks you have a problem with plug wires in wrong spots, or somesuch
absurdity. The B Will Run,  QUITE out of time, if everything else is done
wrong enough. Time to start from the basics... get the roter pointing to
about 2 oclock, make sure that the plug wire that is at the back-right side
of the cap (when viewed above) is #1, next is #3 at front right, then front
left is #4 and rear-left is #2. See that the points are about opening with
the rotor here, and of course the timing should already have been lined up at
about 10btdc static.  Until you know this is right, everything else is still
a waste of time.
Still, I wouldn't be so negative about the car. If it holds 50lbs oil
pressure hot and comes up ok on a compression check, everything else is easy.
(and cheap)