Re: Technical Comments on Cooling

To: aramm@sv.tbgi.com, mgs@autox.team.net, MG1935@aol.com
Subject: Re: Technical Comments on Cooling
From: RickEraser@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 20:28:27 -0400
In a message dated 95-06-26 20:51:58 EDT, ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com (Ramm, Andy)
writes:

>Also, if you don't go to the trouble of installing an electric fan, be
>sure you at least upgrade the old four-vane steel fan on older LBCs to a
>new six-vane plastic one.

They might be better but beware!  My '69 Midget was equipped with said
plastic fan, and a new water pump.  When the temperature guage failed, I
failed to repair it before the fan also failed.  A fan without all of its
blades can ruin a new water pump in a very short period of time.
 Unfortunately,  with the radio full blast at freeway speeds, top down, 16
years old, I didn't notice that I was losing water until I felt the car begin
to lose power.  I was able to limp the car home by adding water at every
freeway off ramp.  About 20 miles.

The engine was never to start again.  $1500.00 estimate to rebuild an engine
in a car that I paid $1000 for seemed excessive.  I bought an RX3 and dropped
that engine in.  Well, shoe horned with vaseline, chewing gum and bailing
wire.  That engine also expired.  The car was sent off to the crusher.  Weep.
Weep.

Now I am looking to replace that car, my first and favorite.  Had I just
fixed the darn temperature guage. Tsk. Tsk.

Rick Eraser
(alias Jeff Thraen)