Re: Good Books

To: MACEDONIA <macedonia-statc@kaman.com>
Subject: Re: Good Books
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 10:00:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, MACEDONIA wrote:

> I've recently come up with the bright idea of trying to restore an MGB (I
> trying to find
> good books on the subject. Does anyone have any suggestions? If you do,
>please
> e-mail me
> directly at macedonia-statc@kaman.com.

I bought Porter's book, Do it yourself Restoration of the MGB, 2nd
edition, and was disappointed to find that much of the book is devoted to
how to switch parts from a decrepit B to a new Heritage shell.  I also
bought the Practical Classics book on B restoration, and the quality of
the photo reproduction is terrible, so much so that I consider the book
not very useful.

The first edition of Porter's book was simply on restoration, without all
the Heritage shell stuff.  I thought it might have repair info that was
not in the second edition.  I managed to find a seller who still had the
first edition (EWA [Eric Waiter Assoc], I think they are in NJ, somebody
on the list will have their number handy).  I have not had time to compare
the two books to see if there is any body repair info in edition 1 that
isn't in edition 2.  At least it is smaller, a bit cheaper, and for
someone who plans to restore an original body it is more to the point than
the second edition.

If you don't have a car yet, I recommend "Original MGB" as a good guide to
the B.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910