Re: Misuse of list

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Misuse of list
From: Railroad2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 02:12:04 -0400
HELLO  from:

Glen Wilson
Railroad2@aol.com
Eastern Pennsylvania, USA

Wednesday, Jul 5, 1995

     I just thought I'd put my two cents in here regarding misuse of the
list.

     I find that a certain number of messages are of no interest to me;  I
skim these and delete them.  Sometimes I delete them without reading them
based on the subject heading.
    Sometimes there's a thread (like the one about Ray's timing marks) that
takes on a life of its own and just goes on and on.  This is a lot of
netspace devoted to a single car or topic, and yet I often find these
discussions technically interesting and educational.  But I also like the
HUMAN INTERACTION aspect of these conversations.  There's often humor here
and usually a sincere attempt on the part of one person to help another out
is clearly evident.  I'm certain there are many members who enjoy "listening
in" on these conversations even if they never become involved.  I'm happy
when responses are directed to my personal address, but someone else might be
interested in the information as well.  I've really enjoyed "meeting" other
LBC people through the list, even the ones I've never corresponded with.
     Personally, I'd hate to discourage participation in any way.  In fact, I
often wish more people would chime in on subjects which might be old hat to
many.  I recently posted a question about a worn out MGB wiper gearbox and
only got a couple of responses on a failure I know must occur all the time.
         I'd really like to thank the people who work behind the scenes to
keep the SOL operation running as well as it does.  Perhaps the technical
section of the website could be expanded to include an archive containing
frequently encountered problems (FEP's, I'm sure) for reference.  This could
be browsed by people with questions that have already been dealt with
providing a quick answer and keeping message traffic down.  I'm sure,
however, that this would require additional disk space and administrative
time on the part of someone at SOL Central.