Re:Black plates in California, others need not read.

To: fickes@taurus.apple.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Black plates in California, others need not read.
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 95 15:39:12 -0700
In message <v02110101ac20a8c0006f@[17.255.8.177]> Stan Fickes writes:
> (Minimal LBC content)
> My wife and I bought a '57 Chevy Bel Air 4 door wagon yesterday, and while
> registering it we learned something interesting about California state law.
> If you say you are a collector of historical or special interest cars,
> which you are maintaining for hobby or professional purposes, you can keep
> the original black plates!  So, thanks to the one polite DMV worker in the
> state, we can keep the plates the car was originally registered with.  So
> next time you are faced with the usual hassles at the DMV and want to keep
> the plates, tell 'em you're a collector!  A collection can be as small as

Bad news Stan.  Your '57 originally came with yellow plates that had black
lettering, said 56 in a corner and had a '57 tag if it was originally a
California car.  The Black plates came out in '64.  At that time everyone had to
turn in their yellow plates and get the black plates.  If you can find a set of
yellow '56 plates with a '57 sticker in good condition, DMV will let you use
them for a single time $27 charge.

But black plates are cool too, just not original for your car

Take care,

TeriAnn Wakeman              .sig closed for remodeling
twakeman@apple.com