Didn't buy MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Didn't buy MGB
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 09:45:20 -0400 (EDT)
After I pestered the list with questions and started the timing thread
that wouldn't end, several people have asked me if I bought Tim's MGBGT
in the end.

I didn't, partly because of my own flaws and partly because of the car's.
It needed just about everything.  It ran and was inspected, but that was a
technicality (one that raised the price, but not the value to me).  I
would not have enjoyed it much until I had it in decent shape, and that
meant a lot of body work and mechanical work, that would certainly
escalate into a ground up restoration.  I think the emotional end was when
I found that a dpo had installed what must be 6 volt batteries from a
prewar John Deere tractor, and cut large sections out of the rear floor to
fit them in.  No wonder I was troubled by fumes inside.

If I am going to do a ground up, I'd rather start with an early car, with
no pollution stuff, the nice leather upholstery and the more attractive
dash.  I don't *need* another car, and until my garage is larger, don't
have much space for one, so why compromise?  Or maybe not a B at all; I
would also enjoy another Alpine like the one I used to have.  Something
will turn up that says "Take me, I was meant for you" louder than Tim's
car did.

Some have recommended a B roadster.  I'm thinking about it.  However, I
find the low windshield header annoying and I like the looks of the GT
better.

Thanks for all the help; evaluation of the next car will be much easier.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910