Midget Driveshaft Mystery

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget Driveshaft Mystery
From: John Leier <JohnLeier@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 95 16:51:59 UT
The drive shaft (er...I mean propeller shaft) on my 70 Midget is unlike any
of the other ones I have ever seen and I'm wondering if someone recognizes
the extra piece...

The sleeve which slides over the output shaft from the
transmission has an "outer sleeve" which is about 1/2 the length of the main
sleeve and is designed to slip OVER the rear oil seal of the tranny (i.e.,
normal inner sleeve goes inside rear oil seal and over the output shaft, this
sleeve goes outside of the rear oil seal.

I can't find this part (it looks
like it's pressed onto the normal sleeve) in any of my parts books or
catalogs.  Does anyone recognize this?

The driveshaft is not original as
it has some salvage yard paint on it.  The paint says "rite" which could
either be short for Sprite??? or could be from the name of the salvage yard
(Lew, wasn't there a Rite-Way yard in Blaine?).

Any insight into this
mystery is appreciated!  Thanks.

- John
  69,69,70,71,74 Midget