'Nother MGB and a Morris

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 'Nother MGB and a Morris
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 15:58:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sorry, but I need experienced advice on values of a couple of cars.
Please reply to me directly, to save the list.

#1 1963 MGB roadster. Serial number from Jan 63. The car basically seems
unusually sound for the age and for this area.  Fresh paint, but I suspect
it was applied over a good bit of bondo.  The only holes showing are
smallish ones in the floors.  The inner sill/floor side appears sound, but
it is reasonable to suppose it needs new outer and middle sills, castle
sections, door skins, floors, and new jacking points.  On the whole,
though, rust is not bad.  Has wire wheels.  Engine not running, serial
number right for early 63 engine.  Interior and top very poor.  Last
driven and inspected 10 years ago.  Owner has not set a price yet.

This would be a candidate only for complete restoration.  Would an early
63 be particularly desirable?  My own personal preference would be for a
later car with 5 main engine, but for occasional use it should not matter
much.

#2 While I was checking out #1, which the owner had sent to a shop for
evaluation, the shop owner asked if I'd be interested in a car he had for
sale.  Showed me a Morris Minor 2 dr. saloon.  California white plates.
Body seems very solid with zero rust and fairly straight.  The interior is
not too bad.  He said it has a 1275 engine (I wonder about that; the
engine is a 10CC prefix with a Morris valve cover, I will try to look it
up when I get home).  He said the engine runs poorly, and the transmission
and brakes need work.  I doubt I am interested, but what is one worth?  I
can picture it with spiffy Revolution wheels...  He is asking $1600, I
think on the theory that any old car from CA is worth a bundle here.

Thanks, Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910