Re: Clutch FUBAR.....&^^#$$^&%&*$$$

To: swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu
Subject: Re: Clutch FUBAR.....&^^#$$^&%&*$$$
From: jhoward@argus.lowell.edu (James D. Howard II)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 95 17:02 MST
This sounds exactly like what happened to my MGB 3 years ago.

>   Sudden onset of problems, no related problems before.  Vibration
>   felt through clutch pedal.  Car seems to drive fine in any gear
>   (only problems when clutch is down).  Engine runs fine in neutral.
>   Engine slows down and eventually stalls with the clutch pedal
>   down, grinding noise coming from somewhere.
>   Clutch fluid, Gearbox oil, engine oil levels all normal.

There was occasionally a loud screeching sound when I pressed the
clutch in.

>   Who's guilty?

In my case it was the graphite thowout bearing.  The graphite
shattered, throwing the pieces all around.  My throwout bearing was
reduced to it's metal shell.  Of course, I was on backroads in
northeastern Pennsylvania at the time, driving to Virginia.  The
interstate had gotten dull.  The good news was I made it home without
a problem, although I was quite anxious the whole time.  I did not
find out what the problem was until I pulled the engine.  The clutch
was worn out (it had 90K miles), but the throwout bearing did not seem
like it should have been worn, based on comparing what was left with
a new one.  The metal at the back was about to wear through from me
using it for 250 miles.

I have no idea what brand of t/o bearing it was, as it was installed
my the PO.

>   Please tell me it's a "you forgot to grease this" or "adjust that" sort of
>   thing, not a "remove the engine and maybe drive it next year" kind of thing.

Sorry.  I know you can do fix this in a weekend though, 'cause I did.

James