Re: Oil Pressure Questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Questions...
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 12:16:16 -0500 (CDT)
John M. Trindle writes:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 1995, Jon N Swanson wrote:
> > I have a '73 with approx 120k miles on it.  Unknown history of any engine
> > rebuilds.  I currently have 10W40 oil in it.  When I start it cold it keeps
> > the oil pressure up around 60psi constantly.  After it warms up, it holds
> > 50psi for 3000RPM+, 40psi for 2000RPM, and drops to 15psi (gulp!) or so
> > (tough to read the guage that low...) when idling around 1000RPM.
> >
> This is normal.  The oil pressure relief valve should limit your reading
> to 70 psi when cold.
>
> The rule of thumb is 10 psi for every 1000 rpm.

Uh-oh.  Does anybody know why I get
- 75 psi at cold idle
- 50 psi at hot idle (well, actually 1000 rpm)
- 70 psi at anything above idle on a hot engine

(Bone-stock and mostly original [like, I replaced a few gaskets] '74 18V.)

I can think of two scenarios:
1.  I have an incredibly sturdy and well-cared-for engine which, even
    though it has 114K on it, is far from needing a rebuild.
2.  My gauge is flaky.

(I suppose both could be true.  Unlikely, but it could happen.)

Related question:  Why does my gauge oscillate between 50 and 70 psi at
hot idle?  This only happens maybe 30% of the time, and I haven't been
able to correlate it to anything.

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast