Re: Oil pressure valve -reply

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil pressure valve -reply
From: craig@wco.com (craig wiper)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 18:42:38 -0700
>It could be that the  oil relief valve and/or spring are in a sort of
>oscillating mode, alowing the oil pressure to vary, but I really know
>NUTTING about that little devil...anybody out there care to explain
>the oil relief valve theory of operation?  Anybody ever change
>springs with good results? TIA

I changed the spring and valve on my '74B's engine a couple of years ago;
used an uprated spring from Moss I think. It was really tricky to get the
thing back in once it was out (without removing anything else like header
and exhaust pipe...). There wasn't much room to maneuver. But after trying
for about an hour (wheew) I finally succeeded in getting the threads of the
mounting nut to catch. Tightening her up was very easy compared with getting
the threaded end cap to catch! The gauge reads about 20LBS more pressure
than with the old valve and spring.

Bye, Craig Wiper