MGB distributor springs wanted - no NEEDED!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB distributor springs wanted - no NEEDED!
From: MarvinCX2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 03:23:50 -0400
Seems no one carries springs for the centrifugal advance on an early MGB
distributor.  It is a 25D distributor, Lucas # 40897A (standard for a high
compression engine).  Called moss, no go, weren't even listed by VB or SICP.
 Called some other places, but no luck yet.  Anyone know where I can get
some??  By the way, as to my timing problems, seems I got the best advice
from Johnmowog .... never assume anything about someone elses work.  Took
apart the distributor, the shaft could barely advance, and the springs were
in place, but loose.  Also they were two different springs!  Cleaned it up,
checked the valves, have been using high octane gas forever, set the timing,
still knocks! (or should I say pings?). Next step is replacement of the (now
adjusted) points and the condenser.  Also, I got a new vacuum advance to
attach, but I don't want to bother doing half a rebuild, I NEED SPRINGS!  I
really hope I can avoid "decarbonizing" the head; that is a last resort.

Desperately seeking new distributor springs,
Phil Bates
67 MGB
75 XJ12C
52 MG TD replicar (VW)