Re: Ignition Problems, polarization

To: rwg1@cornell.edu ("Roger Garnett")
Subject: Re: Ignition Problems, polarization
From: David Hall <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 8:03:33 PDT

> So, anyhow, you probably bought a coil that requires an external balast
> resistor. There are 2 kinds, and you need an "internal balast" coil. The
> wiring layout on new cars uses an extenal resistor, so that a higher voltage
> can be fed to the coil while the battey voltage drops during starting, and
> then feed through the resistor the rest of the time. If you hook up a
> non-balasted coil with out a resistor, it will draw too much current, and get
> quite hot. It'll also probably burn out your points pretty quickly.

Hmm!  I've recently put in an electronic ignition.  They said that typically,
if your vehicle does not have a ballast resistor, you can hook the ignition
directly up to the coil.  I've got a 72 MGB/GT, and saw no ballast
resistor, so hooked it up directly. I am noticing that the coil gets quite
HOT!  So here's the question:  Do I need to replace my original Lucas
coil?

Thanks!

Dave Hall
dhall@vcd.hp.com