Re: Ignition question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition question
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 95 13:16:28 PDT
Sean Johnson wrote:

> While  I'm at it, what's the little plastic thing mounted on top of the brake
> booster box that has two places for vacuum hoses to be connected?  The hose
> connections are at right angles.  Both cars have this disconnected, and the
> Haynes manual doesn't say.
>
> thanks,
>
> Sean Johnson

Gee, I get another chance to display my knowledge of arcane MG trivia.
Probably only those of us who worked on those cars when new know what
that is because as soon as anyone found out what it did, they PROMPTly
bypassed it.

It's yet another smog switch.  It makes it so the vacuum advance only
works in fourth gear.  The vacuum advance line is supposed to run from
the manifold to the switch and then to the distributor.  A switch on the
transmission tells the valve when it's in fourth gear and the valve
opens.

Supposedly, smog testers are supposed to notice when a smog device on
your car is missing or bypassed but I've _never_ heard of anyone failing
a smog check because of this little gizmo.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com