Re.: MGA 1600 timing, vacuum advance

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re.: MGA 1600 timing, vacuum advance
From: Kevin Sullivan <Kevin.Sullivan@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:14:42 -0500 (CDT)

Some angry guy writes:

> Your interested in plotting vac. advance vs. RPM and want to save $.50
> a fill-up to use 87 octane. . . . . . yes. . .  I have a suggestion
> SELL the car!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  I don't mind spending more to use whatever fuel is
correct for the application.  I just thought that this is not a high
compression engine, and it doesn't knock on 87, so either that's the
proper fuel, or I'm not getting enough advance to need higher octane.
If this engine is supposed to _need_ high octane fuel, then maybe
something is not right with my advance mechanism.

> Sorry I guess this heat is getting to me!

The heat is from your flame!

> ps:  the run on is very normal, do not shut the engine off immediately
> when you stop.  Idle for a short time or use the choke then shut the
> engine down.  My "A" has run like that for year using 93 octane and is
> a very strong running lbc.

Hmmm.  Is the proper octane specified somewhere or did you arrive at 93
empirically (e.g. timing's right and it knocks with 89) or what?  Do you
have the high compression engine?

Kevin Sullivan