Re: CA Smog Control

To: DamitDick@aol.com
Subject: Re: CA Smog Control
From: David Simpson <davids@cybergate.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 06:27:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 23 Jul 1995 DamitDick@aol.com wrote:

> I have a '80 MGB and the original catalitic converter bit the dust. I want to
> remove the original one piece intake/exhaust manifold and replace it with an
> exhaust header (moving the catalitic converter down under the car). I intend
> to use either a side draft weber or a pair of SU's as carburetion.
>
> Has anyone had any experiences with this type of modification and getting
> passed CA emmission standards?

Hi. I have a '77 MGB with a catalytic converter that is completely empty.
Always has been, since I first got it. It passes CA smog just fine, with
pretty impressive numbers, too. The engine is recently rebuilt, which
probably has a lot to do with it. I suppose if someone tapped on it with a
wrench they could tell by the sound there was nothing in it, but no one
ever has.
     I don't know about what you're trying to do. Doesn't sound like an easy
task getting it approved. ANY kind of a mod is automatically taboo in CA.
I finally got my manual choke approved, because the old hot water types are
too hard to get. I had to look around for a smog guy that knew about this.
Up until now, I had to put the old, broken, inop water choke back on to pass
smog every two years. Makes a lot of sense, huh?
    You might try talking to a smog referee, of course you'll probably
get the stock answer, "NO". The part above about hard-to-get or too-ex-
pensive-to-replace parts might work, like it did with the choke.
    Hopefully someone else will have more info for you. Hope this helps.

Dave Simpson