Re: Steering Rack on 72 Midget

To: holdswo@io.org (Keith Holdsworth)
Subject: Re: Steering Rack on 72 Midget
From: nvenn@mpc-uk.com (Neil Venn)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 14:52:22 BST

> On Sun, 23 Jul 1995 ciaffone@nando.net wrote:
>
> > At great (And I mean great!) pains to my
> > and my wife's knuckles, we managed to remove
> > the plug in the rach, fit a grease nipple, and
> > top it up.  Haynes sez now I should remove the
> > nipple and replace the plug.
> >

> Keith Holdsworth wrote:
>
> MG steering racks are meant to be lubricated with oil because the rack
> will cut a channel through grease and not lubricate properly.

I didn't know you had to top-up new steering racks. Perhaps I should have
RTFM'd! Will a low oil level explain the slight movement I noticed in my
steering column this weekend? The movement was along the length of the
column not a rotation about the rack or a rattle. If not then I guess
that nut and bolt at the bottom of the column has gotten loose. Yes?

--
/------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|                                  |                                     |
| Beep, beep,                /|    |  E-Mail: vennn@hoskyns.co.uk        |
|                          /| o    |      or: nvenn@mpc-uk.com           |
| Neil                 (8^)=) |    |                                     |
|                       "   | o    |  Paper Mail: Neil Venn,             |
| "Safety Fast!"            \_|    |              Technical Consultant,  |
|                            "     |              Hoskyns,               |
|                            *     |              City House,            |
|                           *      |              190 City Road,         |
|                         *        |              London, WC1V 2QH,      |
|                      *           |              England.               |