Re: Transmission Oil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission Oil
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 95 11:18:48 EDT
>When I approached Castrol requesting an opinion about why there was a
>difference (and it was from its reply that I learnt that 80W/90 was
>"thinner") the reply was a bit cagey as the did not want to refute a
>manufacturer's recomendation.  The reply went on to describe the different
>properties needed in a gear oil to an engine oil and it is not difficult
>appreciate why the requirements are different.  For example a gear oil needs
>very little detergent action since there is no polluton from gases etc.and
>has to be very non foaming. However, the oil does need to adhere to metal
>faces on gears and withstand very high temperatures caused by the friction
>in a gearbox under high loads and so is made for the task. It is probably
>the latter consideration which made MG specify it for the V8s but never for
>the four cylinder models right up to the end of production.

One point that has not been addressed in this thread is whether there would
be a preference based on O/D considerations.  A little ignorance:  Did the
V8 come with O/D optional, or only O/D?  I have a C that is a little hard to
shift, so I fall between the I4 and the V8 in the gumption department.
Synthetics are too slick for the O/D.  Wonder if the 80W/90 would be to
slick......

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581