Re: MGB & LE Differences (long reply)

To: Carolyn Lovas <lmclovas@LMC.Ericsson.SE>
Subject: Re: MGB & LE Differences (long reply)
From: "G. Clark Smith" <gcs@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 13:32:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, Stewart wrote:

> Anyone know the differences between a regular B and the limited edition
> 1980 model?  I think I may have one but some work has been done by the
> PO ??? which doesn't look the same as a 77-78B.

I'll give you the 'core dump' of what I know.  The LE is basically the same
as the '78 and '79 rubber bumper MGB.  The cosmetic differences between
and LE and regular B are:

1.  LE is original black paint and some people say that the body panels
are straighter. There are silver strips running along the bottom of the
fenders, doors, and dog legs of the car.  Each side has a British flab
and the letter 'MGB' in the style.  This detail should lay on the bottom
of each front fender. I have seen LEs with very low miles and claimed as in
original condition with the strips stopping at the doglegs before the rear
tires and similaer LEs with the strips continuing on past the rear tires
(under the trunk area).

2.  There is a special 'racing' steering wheel that came with the car.
It has a slightly smaller diameter than the original late model
wheel.  It is best described as having a soft black leather(?)
cover and smooth aluminum spokes (not polished) with three drilled
holes in each spoke.  The three spokes are slightly bent towards the
driver to offset the wheel.  The center of the steering wheel is a soft
rubber/foam cover with a MG medalion.  The horn button is on the turn
signal switch not on the center of the steering wheel (this is something
I have seen changed a lot).  The steering wheel doesn't have the word
Mota-Lita stamped in one of the spokes.  If your steering wheel does have
Mota-Lita on it is aftermarket.

3.  The LEs have a wind spoiler underneath the front bumper.  It should
be unpainted plastic.  It is very common for the original spoilers to
have been broken (parking lot barriers and curbs) and replaced with a
aftermarket fiberglass unit. It is also common to paint the spoiler to
cover scratchs and cracks.

4.  On the chrome headlight rings of the car there are two notches bent
in the inner edge of the ring.  These notches allow one to adjust the
headlight without removing the beauty ring.  These LE rings were/are a
very popular aftermarket item and are now common on many MGBs.  However,
they were original on the LE.

5.  The LEs are signified by a small aluminum plaque somewhere on the
dask board.  The plaque has the MG octagon and says Limited Edition with
strip work that is similar to item #1.  I have been told the plaque was a
dealer installed item and its location varys greatly.  Most common place
is on the glovebox door.

6.  One of the most expensive LE specials is the aluminum rims.  The LE
rims are polished and slightly grooved aluminum (paint sticks better) with
areas of black/dark gray to accent the concave details.  Look in any parts
suppliers catalog for a better description.  The dark areas were
originally unpainted.  To me they looked like some type of powder coating.
It has been common for people to paint the darks areas with a black paint.
If this is done the areas are very black and usually shiny.  Make sure a
clear coat sealant has been applied to the rims or you'll be polishing for
the rest of your life.  The rims are know to develop white vericose(?)
veins under the original clear coat layer.  Finally, each rim has its own
MG badge in the center. This badge should be held in with a small metal
clip. I have seen a few cars where people have broken/lost the clip and the
badge is just sitting in place.

7.  A luggage rack was been installed on the trunk lid of the LE.  Again,
this is a dealer installed item and its exact location varies.  Usually,
it is located in the dead center of the trunk lid or slightly closer to
the front of the car (high on the lid).  The rack is made of stainless
steel.  It has two main rectangular pieces which go side-to-side on the
lid and attach by small round posts to the four rectangular mounting
brackets.  There are about fix or six cross pieces (run lengthwise on the
car) which attach to the main rails and form the rack bed.  These cross
pieces are also rectangular (about 1'' X 3/8'' in section).  If you know
what the racks on the late TR6 looks like you know this rack.  The only
difference being the size; the LE's is much smaller in crosswise length.
This luggage rack is no longer available (nobody has them - If you do
please drop me a note!) Also, note that the late model trunk lids are much
lighter (less metal) and therefore, weaker than the earlier units.  I
wouldn't put anything on the luggage rack and then try to raise the trunk
lid.  Never have anything tied to the rack and engage the trunk lid prop.
You can look at regular late model 'Bs and see the lid has already bent
without have the added weight of the luggage rack and your stuff.

There are 1980 and 1979 model year MGB-LEs, both model don't appear to
have any cosmetic differences. I have been told that there are some
mechanical differences between the 1980 LEs and 1979 LEs and regular Bs.
I am not sure if this information is completely correct but, I'll note it
here and the discussion can follow.  Supposedly, the 1980 MGB has a
heavier built-in antisway bar on the rear axle.  The 1980 LEs are rumored
to have something different with the electronic ignition system.  Whether
its the fact that they have electronic ignition or the system components
are different, I am not sure.

I think this is a pretty comprehensive list but, something else is sure
to be revealed.  Good luck with your find.

Clark Smith

|| G. Clark Smith + gcs@acpub.duke.edu ||
|| Graduate Student + Office:(919) 660-8963 ||
|| Mechanical Engineering and Material Science + Hudson Hall, room 190 ||
|| Duke University + Lab:  (919) 660-5434 ||
|| Durham, North Carolina 27708-0302 + Fax:  (919) 660-8963 ||