Alternator Chronicles

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator Chronicles
From: Allan Hovis <hovisa@nando.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 95 08:32:44 EDT
Thanks to the help from various people I was able to successfully
transplant the alternator from my 75 to my 72 B. The only problem was
that the plug had to be cut and spliced to fit. I do have one other
question for any Lucas experts out there. How does the indicator light
work and just what does it measure. To make the newer alternator
indicator light work, I had to supply 12v to the third terminal as shown
in the 75 wiring diagram. The 72 alternator had three terminals but only
two were used and the light worked fine but not at all with the new one
until I supplied the 12v to the third terminal. Does anyone know what is
going on? The wiring diagram for the 72 shows only 2 terminals on the
alternator. Maybe the on I replaced was not the original one but why did
it work the indicator with only two terminals connected?

Thanks,

Allan Hovis