Re: Valvle Timing

To: Mgtd51@aol.com
Subject: Re: Valvle Timing
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 11:16:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 1 Aug 1995 Mgtd51@aol.com wrote:

> My TD engine has recently been rebuilt, however, it won't start.  The facts
> are:

> The compression is about 135psi in each cyclinder.

Seems low.

> There is little or no suction at the inlet manifold even when I disconnect
> the carbs from the manifold.

Suspicious.

> Is it possible that the timing chain was replaced 180 degrees out of synch?

Not necessarily 180 degrees--even a couple of tooths out would do.

> When I received the engine from the rebuilder, I did not remove the timing
> chain cover to check as I couldn't believe this could happen.

Other possibility is that ignition timing way off--distributor might be
180 degrees out.  Easy to check.  It seems very likely to be either
ignition timing or valve timing.  Try ignition timing first, and if it
checks out, make sure both no. 1 valves are fully shut when the timing
mark indicates TDC and the distributor rotor points to the number 1 plug
contact.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910