speaking of OD's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: speaking of OD's
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 12:40:03 +0600
I have a late model OD unit in my '73 B.  The unit seems to opertate fine,
but I have found that if I forget to disengage the OD when coming to a stop,
the OD is still engaged when I go to start out again.  I know the OD is not
supposed to operate in gears R,1 or 2.  Also, the OD (correctly) cannot be
"engaged" (with the lever) in those (R,1,2) gears when driving.

QUESTION:

Should the OD disengage itself when the car is stopped or downshifted into
2nd (or 1st) gear??

Or, is the above behavior common operating procedure??  requiring me to pay
more attention to the position of my lever?

thanks for any info offerred

    Chris Lenth                                      _____\___
    Blacksburg, VA                               '--O-------O--'
    woodcomp@vt.edu                           1973 MGB