Fwd: Re: Engine Characteristics (1500 Midget)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Engine Characteristics (1500 Midget)
From: Alan Tong <alan@picotech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 10:30:02 GMT
In your message dated Tuesday 8, August 1995 you wrote :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question relating to my experiences with my 1500 Midget.
>
> I've had a free-flow exhaust system (including manifold) fitted,
> carb throttle disks altered to remove the emission valves, a fast
> road cam, and finally a K+N air filter with AAS needles in the
> carbs, as of yesterday.
>
> After all of these changes, the engines characteristics still seem to
> largely unchanged but with more power. It seems that from 2000 - 4500
> rpm is where the engine produces most power. After 4500 rpm the
> acceleration starts to become flat and renders further progress in
> that gear pointless.
>
> Is this normal considering all the mods I've had done?
>
> Should this type of engine continue to pull upto its 6000 limit?
> After all 4500 rpm is way short of it's limit.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> RoB.
>
> MG Midget 79
> BOM 188V

Yes you should be able to pull up to 6000, although unless you have had the
bottom end balanced and an oil cooler fitted I would not make a habit of it!

Try the following :

1.  Can you rev up to 5000 - 6000 in neutral.  If not then it suggests that the
ignition can not cope with these speeds (contact bounce, spark too weak etc).
If this is the case (assuming points are OK) try fitting electronic ignition
and
a Lucas sports coil.  Aldon make a neat unit that fits inside the distributor
rather then the usual black boxes of the other manufacturers.  Talking of
ignition have you had the distributor curve matched on a rolling road (the
springs will need changing to suit your setup).

2.  If you can rev up to 6000 in neutral it suggests you are experiencing
either
fuel starvation - check the pump, or possibly you are running so rich you are
flooding the engine.

Hope this helps...

Regards
Alan Tong
"Who's General Failure & why's he reading my disk?"