MG's and Lore Thereof

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG's and Lore Thereof
From: "JDKEMPX0" <jdkempx0@ccmail.wcc.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 95 08:52:31 mdt
          Hi, Folks-

          Hey, I'm new at this Internet stuff, so bear with me.

          I read some discussion of axle shaft lengths recently.  I
          can share a real-life experience from changing my '71 B from
          wire wheels to steel.  I changed out the hubs from a parts
          car with those on my wire wheel car on all four corners, did
          a bit of testing, and went to the Autocross the next
          week-end.

          NEARLY SET THE TIRES (that's TYRES to you gentle readers
          across th' pond) ON FIRE!  They rubbed on the inner fenders
          and shock mount bolts big time when cornering hard.
          Research into parts manuals and catalogs showed two
          different axle shafts for the cars.  Axle housings were not
          listed in either Vicky British or Special Interest, but if
          the shafts are different, the axles must be as well, so I
          transplanted the hubs back onto the old axle, and swapped
          the entire unit.  No further problems.

          But, speaking of Autocross, can you guys tell me about wheel
          swaps for MGB's.  I want to get a spare set for racing, with
          suitable tires, wihtout spending much money...read that as
          going to the junkyard for wheels.  I understand 240-Z wheels
          will fit, and I'm experimenting with a set of Toyota Supra
          wheels that might work, and trying to locate 195X50--14"
          tires.  Any insights??

          jdkempx0@wcc.com