Filter Life(was- no snake oil for me)

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Filter Life(was- no snake oil for me)
From: Tom LeBlanc <leblanc@graddiv.ucsb.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 11:45:55 -0700 (PDT)
Will, et al
The oil filter gets rid of all of the dirt -- down to X-microns (varies by
filter) that is produced by the combustion process and any intake of dirt
or dust from the air. (Feel free to comment)

A filter's capacity to do its job will diminish as it fills, and
eventually by-pass.  I regret that I can't quote a given life expectancy
of a given filter, I can tell you that the manufacturer's catalog should
state the filter's stats.  I have used the specified Fram PH43 on my B
for years (that is what we carried at the store), I went to the PH8A
(Ford filter) for more filtering capacity -- taller, but eventually  went
back to the shorter PH43.  I am thinking of going to Wix when I get the old
girl back on the road.

When it comes to filtering capacity we (the guys at the shop) laughed
when we saw the new filter for Toyota it was about 3-1/2 inches tall by
under 3 inches wide with a factory recommended 7,500 mile interval, and now
that is the filter on my Geo. I definitely change the filter every 3000 miles.

Tom
Thomas Le Blanc                            E-mail:<leblanc@graddiv.ucsb.edu>
Admissions Assistant     www:<http://graddiv.ucsb.edu/~leblanc/leblanc.html>
Graduate Division                                  Telephone:(805) 893-8240
University of California                           Facsimile:(805) 893-8259
Santa Barbara,CA 93106-2070, USA