Re:

To: mgs@autox.team.net, wkube@iadfw.net
Subject: Re:
From: SCHLINING.M.W-_at_BALT.PO.017@smtpgty.bwi.wec.com
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 95 12:18:01 EST
     Wayne

     I just finished pulling my fuel tank from my 75 MGB this weekend.
     These tanks tend to rust from the outside top.  The inside (as much as
     I could see) was bright and shiny.  Moisture is trapped between the
     trunk bottom and the top  of the tank.  They rust from the outside.  I
     used POR15 and some fiberglass to seal small leak at the fill
     neck/tank junction and paint the entire outside of the tank with it .
     I expect this to resolve my "gas fume" problem in the trunk.  I also
     expect not to have a rust problem with the tank exterior again.
     Tonight I will reinstall the tank.

     I have used the cleaner/etcher/sealer combination on my 57 MGA tank,
     but to date have not filled it with gas.  It was not the nicest stuff
     to work with.  The baffle plates seem to keep the sealer from flowing
     to different location and when you have to empty the excess out of the
     tank, it is very difficult.  And after doing all that my one pin hole
     that caused me to go through this exercise still leaked (water in the
     tank test).  I had to patch it with a gas tank epoxy.  I also painted
     the entire outside of the tank with POR15.  The water test says it
     doesn't leak any more.  My experience tells me not to use the internal
     sealer anymore, it isn't worth the results.

     For your MGB, seal the tank from the outside.  I happen to like using
     black POR15 Urethane paint.  It will seal any rust it comes in contact
     with and prevent it from spreading.

     Marty Schlining
     schlining.m.w@nort.bwi.com
     57 MGA Coupe
     75 MGB

Author:  wkube@iadfw.net at BALT.SMTP
Date:    8/14/95 11:27 AM

I am restoring a '79B.  I have removed and cleaned the fuel tank.  There was
some minor rust on the top surface that did not penetrate through to the
inside.  Outside has been derusted, primed, and painted.  Minor surface rust
on the inside.  I have the Moss etching solution and slushing compound but
have not used it yet.  Questions:

1. Anyone used this stuff before?

2. Any pros or cons?

3. Any cautions to be aware of?