Re: Z Magnette H2O Temp Unit

To: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Z Magnette H2O Temp Unit
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 95 10:02:25 -0600
>I've been meaning to sort this one out- the guage on my ZB works, but
>it's backwards- therefore I need a different sending unit as well. The
>sending unit resistance can either increase or decrease as the temp
>goes up, and mine goes the wrong way... (And, no, the battery polarity
>does not make any difference folks)

I found one from a vintage racer friend who had parted out a Magnette.

>You may want to check your guage tho- if you short the sending unit
>lead to ground, I'd expect the guage to go to full on- if not, you may
>have a wiring problem, or a bad sending unit.

Nope.  The gauge goes to HOT when the circuit is open, and to cold
when the wire is shorted to ground.  I managed to find a working unit,
and could probably check resistance next time I fire it up.  It does
seem to be backwards from what you would logically expect.

BTW, the recent Practical Classics buyers guide said that the sending
unit was one of the 3 pieces currently made of unobtanium.  Anybody
who is moving a Magnette engine into an A or scrapping out a Magnette
would be thanked if they would save the sending unit.

  Cheers,
    Jay

P.S.  I'm still looking for a horn button, the second of the
unobtainable parts.

    Jay Nemeth-Johannes                       87 Merkur XR4ti
    Hewlett-Packard                           95 & 83 VW GTI
    Measurement Systems Division              71 Saab Sonett
    Loveland, Colorado                        58 MG ZB Magnette