Stupid carb question

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mg)
Subject: Stupid carb question
From: Graham Knight <graham@disr.den.mmc.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 95 10:21:48 MDT
Hi,
        Hope you all will forgive my ignorance.....

        What is the theory of operation on an SU Carb?? I'm not
a complete idiot (i hope!) but i cannot for the
life of me figure out what makes these things work - particularly
considerng mine don't! The piston is what perplexes me the most -
apparently the higher the piston rides the more gas that's allowed
into the intake - but what makes it rise? Vacuum seems to be
the logical answer, but isn't manifold vacuum higher at idle that
at WOT?

        The oil damper. MMO seems to be the oil of choice - does
anyone know the weight of that oil? It seems to me that if
a too thick oil is used the piston may never rise.

        Also. Since while at rest the piston drops all the way, how
does the engine initially start??? Should there be enough engine
vacuum combined with a light enough damping oil so that
the piston rises while the starter motor is turning??

        That's all the stupid questions for now....

        Thanks again for all the help..

        Graham
--
Graham Knight           graham@disr.den.mmc.com                   303-977-7085