Re: clunking noises ('79 MGB)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clunking noises ('79 MGB)
From: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk (Mr Andy Smith)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 95 12:25:05 GMT
> Buy fully made up kingpins and all the bits that hang off them, fix it
> yourself (it's only a few nuts and bolts, get a wrenching wench to help)
> and KEEP IT.

Yes - KEEP IT.

Bear in mind though that even though that "it's only a few nuts and bolts"
most likely will mean "it's only a few nuts and bolts that will take days
to move, most likely involving hacksaws, blowtorches (would this be a good
application of the legendary dremel ?) and lots and _lots_ of swearing"

I did one side of my midget myself two years back.
When the other side needed doing I was quite happy to pay someone else the
approx. 100 pounds it cost me to get it done.  This is the only mechanical
work I've ever paid anyone else to do for me - it's such a nightmare job.

DPO interest : the VDPO had welded the bottom trunnions to the wishbone pans
to "cure" the movement which had made the car fail the MOT test !

Andy

Andy Smith. Senior Physicist
Royal Marsden Hospital
Fulham Road, London, SW3 6JJ