77 mgb backfire

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 77 mgb backfire
From: "John Famolaro" <john_famolaro@wmkps.sps.mot.com>
Date: 21 Aug 1995 10:13:45 -0700
Hello

I have a 77 MGB and with a webber 2 barrel carb and header.  It constantly
backfires when I turn the engine off.  What should be done to stop my
backfire problem.

I also am trying to get it to pass smog in Arizona, is there a (legal)
catalytic converter that will attach to my header.  I have a smog pump for
the car but am not sure how to hook it up with the weber carb and intake
manifold.  Is it just totally impossible or illegal to pass smog with
replacing original carb, intake and exhaust manifolds?

Please Help me!!

Thanks
John Famolaro