Re: Fuel tanks slushing and repairs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel tanks slushing and repairs
From: JAMES <JBMYERS@msuvx2.memphis.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:09:22 -0500 (CDT)
Sean Johnson <sean_johnson@milacron.com> asked:

>3) Does anybody sell the in tank filter screen at the end of the pickup tube?
> The one on mine has some gunk, and a new one would be simpler than cleaning
>the old.  V-B and Moss don't list it.

My replacement tank had no "sock" filter screen at the end of the pickup tube.
I've got a filter between the tank and the pump, and a filter just ahead of the
carb. No troubles in two (or is it three) years, so I wonder if the sock filter
is primarily to keep ping-pong balls, etc, from plugging the intake.

I have known of people who used compressed air to blast the sock filter off the
end of the pickup tube, and went sockless for years without problems. Remember,
the sign says "No Shirt, No Shoes..." no mention of socks ;^)

Also, I'm not sure how you would change the filter, unless you have four elbows
and arms smaller than 2 inches diameter. If your pickup tube is removeable, I'm
curious as to where that tank came from.

James "sockless in Memphis" B.
'71 MGB
'71 LeSabre