Re: Causes of blue smoke on start-up of 1966 MGB. Valve stem seals?

To: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Causes of blue smoke on start-up of 1966 MGB. Valve stem seals?
From: russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 09:45:18 -0800
>The last two weeks my 1966 MGB has emitted a blueish cloud of smoke on
>start-up.

Are you sure the smoke is coming out ot the exhaust pipe?  My '63 B,
lacking a  rear-main seal, looses oil from the bottom of the bell housing.
The oil migrates across the exhaust pipe bracket that attaches there and
coats the pipe if the car sits idle for several days.  About 2 minutes
after start-up the pipe gets hot enough to burn the oil off, briefly
creating bellows of blue smoke.  As in your case, the longer it sits, the
more it smokes.