3 wheeled MGB?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 3 wheeled MGB?
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 09:57:10 +0600
Sunday night 11:00 pm:  After dropping off a fellow student after a dinner
at my faculty advisors home, I hear a strange waka-waka-waka noise comming
from the rear of the car as I am putting down residential streets half a
mile from home.  Slow down, turn down stereo, and the waka-waka is now being
joined by a gentle shimmy-shimmy from side to side in the rear of the car.
Slow down and pull to side.  Thump, drag, scrape, stop.  I get out to see
what I've pretty much figured out in the last few seconds.  D. side rear
tire is no longer attached to axle but is supporting rear of car by being
wedged up into the wheel well.  Preliminary assessment is no big deal. No
body, stud, wheel or tire damage.  Good thing it didn't happen on my way
back from camping earlier this morning on the interstate at 75mph in the
rain!!  Speaking of camping, I'll bet I unloaded that Maglight with the rest
of my gear this morning.  Oh well, I don't deserve this car if I can't
change a simple tire in the dark.  Jack up car, front tire is a foot off the
ground, back one still won't quite slide on.  Try to raise car some more and
handle of jack conveniently comes off in my hand, hmm (and a few other
choice words) this will complicate things.  OK, jimmy back tire onto studs
by lifting back of car with one hand and jiggling tire into place with knee
and other hand.  Rob one lug nut from each of the other wheels, TIGHTEN
everything down.  Now, how to get the car back onto the ground with a
handleless jack? this could be a trick.  Get hammer from toolbox (wish I had
that B.F.H. in the car) and persuade bottom of jack outward and towards
front of the car until car falls down onto the wheels, careful to keep the
top of the jack from contacting the rocker panel.  Resist the strong desire
to launch the jack into orbit, pack up tools and go home.

Question. Does anyone have four of the big black lug nuts for the LE wheels
laying around that I could talk them out of?  The local parts stores don't
seem to have anything that both looks and fits OK, and the catalog prices
for these are outrageous.

thanks alot

chris lenth