Re: Curious suspension qu.....

To: "J. Michael Roach" <mroach@socketis.net>
Subject: Re: Curious suspension qu.....
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 12:25:41 -0600 (MDT)
JM

        When I first bought my '78 Midget it danced all over the road,
especially when I hit bumps.  To be honest it was dangerous.  I replaced the
front shocks, (had them shipped over from the MG Owners' Club in
England), replaced the tie rod ends and wheel bearings.
Then, after reading a long article in an MG Owner's Club book about best
tires for MG's, I bought four Michelin 165/70 R13 MXL series tires that cost
about ninety bucks each.  It now handles INCREDIBLY well, and I've driven
several Midgets.
The trouble with handling problems is that each component makes a
percentage of difference, and, until you replace everything
at the 'front end', it will never 'feel' right, or safe.

Note:   The shocks from the MGOC were reconditioned and cost sixty bucks for
        the pair, including shipping about three years ago.  The next
        best place I would recommend is Apple Hydraulics in New York.
        (1-800-882-7753)
        They are currently advertising $60 EACH for the front, and $50
        EACH for the rear. I recently installed two front shocks on a
        friend's MGB from Apple H. and was satisfied with their service.

Anyway this is far more info. than you probably wanted, but this is what
this newsgroup is all about, an exchange of useful, useable, updated and
correct information.

Good luck,

Nick D. Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences