The Gods of Lucas

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: The Gods of Lucas
From: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk (Mr Andy Smith)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 95 11:57:08 GMT
How is it that a perfectly re-wired car that hasn't given any trouble
electrically for over a year can know when best to start playing up ?

The electrics in my Midget have been trouble free for at least a year now.

This weekend we went shopping to buy masses of food to start cooking for
our wedding next saturday.  On the way to the supermarket the indicators,
tacho, fuel gauge, brake lights etc. stopped working.  Yes it's THAT fuse again.
It looked a bit grubby so I wiggled it around which made it work fine.

Great I thought, just a bit loose or dirty.  We get to the supermarket OK.

We load the car up to the brim with food (or course covering up the spare
fuses and so on), start up and drive out of the car park heading home.
As you'll have guessed the same fuse (in a Lucas fuse box !!) then blew.

Maybe Lucas aren't as stupid as we all thought, I think their components
have a highly sophisticated artificial intelligence built in to tell them when
best to fail and cause maximum bad language.  In this case when under 144 eggs.

Andy
Andy Smith. Senior Physicist
Royal Marsden Hospital
Fulham Road, London, SW3 6JJ