Re: Timing is everything.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing is everything.
From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 19:44:43 +0200
>Graham Knight wrote (about a distributor):
>>
>> The timing mark jumps all over the place +-3 degrees every time the light
flashes.

>Doesn't actually sound too worrying to me, but it *might* just be that the
drive
>gears are worn.
>
>Lindsay Porter has written a book about the development of the B-series
>engine (I forgot the title, but I have a copy at home).
>He stated that one of the reasons why the MGB production ceased in 1990
>was that the timing gear would wear out (just enough) after  50.000 miles
>to give inaccurate (valve and?) ignition timing.
>This meant  that the engine could no longer meet the o so stringent U.S.
>emission regulations. Since the USA market was the most important market
>for this model, this meant the axe for the MGB.
>
>The A-series engine has a similar distribution drive.
>However, I definitely wouldn't have sleepless nights about plus or minus
>3 degrees, I don't think you will notice it.
>
>Bert

(signature under construction)
Bert Palte                                       Vortex Balanceertechniek B.V.,
Roggeveld 25                                Industrieweg 21  / P.O. Box 107
Soest,  The Netherlands              Soest, The Netherlands
 NL-3764 ZB                                  NL-3760 AC
tel. +31 35 602 3949 (home)       tel. +31 35 601 3816
tel. +31 35 601 3816 (office)       fax +31 35 602 6288
<palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>               <vortex@worldaccess.nl>