Damaged "hard"top

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Damaged "hard"top
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 23:30:07 -0600 (MDT)
About one year ago, a complete idiot backed over my nice lightweight hard
top for my '78 Midget. I was compensated nicely by his State Farm agent
to the tune of about $700, ( the current Victoria British price for a new
one.)  Anyway, instead of using the cash for buying a new hardtop, I put
another $800 with it and bought a half-decent Spitfire. So, this leaves
me with the question though: I still have the old Midget hardtop, which
is actually made from fiberglass. When the idiot backed over it, the rear
glass popped out unharmed, but the rear quarter of the top split fairly
severely.  I think its made by Snugtop, which I only mentioned so some of
you may be able to visualize it.
Have any of "you" ever successfully repaired one of these? I'm looking
for a fairly cheap solution like patching it roughly with fiberglass on
the outside, sanding it off, and having it covered in vinyl.

        All ideas are welcome,

Nick D Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences
Colorado State University