Re: SU or not SU

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU or not SU
From: JAMES <JBMYERS@msuvx2.memphis.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 08:10:25 -0500 (CDT)
I had similar problems with my SUs a few years back: air in/fuel out all the
wrong places, the most fun part of them was the random variable idle speed(tm).
I think this was supposed to be a Design Feature(tm).

I switched to a Weber downdraft, am very happy with it. No heat shields, only
two gaskets (manifold and carb, instead of 6 - manifold/heat shield/carb), one
idle mixture screw, and one idle speed screw. WAY easier to adjust, although
balancing SU's by ear can be fun too.

As far as power, comparing the cars I've driven with good SU's and good Webers,
there is little difference that I could tell, except that a Weber has an
accelerator pump, so when you floor it, you feel the "kick" right away, whereas
SU's tend to be more smooth, similar to a turbine engine "spooling up".

All in all, I'd say go for which ever you can get done cheaper/easier, but get
the best work done you can. Either system, properly done, does well. Either
system, poorly done,...

Of course, you could swap out for a Rover V8, then you'd have to choose between
four dual-throat Webers or a Carter AFB. (I had a Holley once, then I grew up.)

James "where there's a whip, there's a way" B.
71 MGB
71 LeSabre