72 Midget -- Vacuum Retard??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 72 Midget -- Vacuum Retard??
From: ciaffone@nando.net
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 95 17:02:43 +0000
What's this I see??  Can it be a Vacuum Retard??

While admiring the AIR PUMP that I just
successfully rebuilt (ah - hem!) I found a small tube
from the head to a vacuum unit on the distributer.  At idle,
when I remove the tube from the head, the idle speed jumps up.
When I re-attach said tube, the idle drops.  Is this ok?
Haynes ain't too helpful here, and dosn't even show a pic
of the distributor in my midget.  If it is a vacuum retard,
can I yank it and re-time the engine at idle to spec??

chuck
// Chuck Ciaffone
// 919-544-4878
// ciaffone@nando.net