RE: Factory Tuning manuals was (RE: Stupid Tuning Question) (fwd)

To: "Gary R. Burrell" <burrelgr@tuns.ca>
Subject: RE: Factory Tuning manuals was (RE: Stupid Tuning Question) (fwd)
From: "Patrick M. Clawson" <pclawson@mail.orion.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:37:43 -0500 (CDT)
> Chiltons 1961-80 MGs ($14 US): Covers MGB, MGC, Midget and MG 1100.  This
> is your generic auto repair book with some MG specifics.  Not much bettter
> than  nothing at all.  (In fact you probably are better of with no manual at
> all) My recomendation for this book is you use it for a table leg support or
> such.

I once had a '65 Corvair (rarely acreditted to Chevrolet), and the only
manual I could find was a '61-'69 Chilton's.  The best advice it gave,
usually in every section, was "special tools required, see your local
dealer for servicing."

> Haynes MGB 62-80 ($16 US): Probably the best manual other than the actual
> factory service manual.  Some good pictures, and sometimes more information
> than  the factory manual.

The Haynes manual that accompanied my '77 B to a better home had the
standard black-edged pages (greasy thumb-prints) all through the engine
section.

Let's face it, though, not much really changed on the MGB from '62-'80.
For this one model, one manual can cover the small variations. Not so
for any other vehicle. And yet, Haynes does pretty good on vehicles with
some model/style variations.  (I have manuals for VW type1 bugs and
ghias, Porsche 914, my Ford Ranger, and the Spridget I would've bought
if I hadn't bought the '77 B.)

> Bentley, The Complete offical MGB 1962-74 ($45 US): Contains The reprint
> of the owners manuals, the factory service manual and the special tuning
> manual.  This is what the garages had.  It is with out a doubt the best
> manual to have for your car.

I worked for guy whose wife had owned one of every lbc (regardless of
definition) and she had the Bentley book as well as the parts catalog.
I thought I knew my B pretty well, but those volumes were way beyond my
level of knowledge!

I concur with the idea of having Haynes and Bentley on hand. What with
the price of car parts (foreign or domestic), you're better off knowing
as much as you can before you order anything.

Patrick
pclawson@mail.orion.org