Re: Thermostat Cover Removal

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: Thermostat Cover Removal
From: Jeffrey Taberski <taberski@uidaho.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 10:58:50 -0700 (PDT)

On 19 Sep 1995, A. B. Bonds wrote:

> In <950919095735_23344032@emout04.mail.aol.com>, MGBay@aol.com wrote:
>
> >the best tool I've found is a socket-type stud removal tool.  It slips down
> >over the stud and has three offset cams that grip the stud.  They work in
> >both directions and don't mangle the surface if you're looking to reuse it.
> > They are expensive and are specifically sized, ie. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and
> >1/2 which is what I have.  I bought mine from the Snap-on dealer.  Ouch!
>
> You can get a set of four from Harbor Freight and Salvage for about
> 1/3 the Snap-On price.  I think the set currently runs about $30
> In-God-We-Trust.  They are from Taiwan, but the quality is fairly
> good.  They have proven invaluable many times for me.
>
>                       A. B. Bonds

My experience with Harbor Freight is that most of the stuff is Chinese
and of poor quality.  I've broken many HF, Chinese made tools.  This
particular tool may be the exception.
I used to live near a Harbor Freight store and could be found lurking
about on more than one occassion.  Also, I like to be conscious of
Chinese political and human rights attrocities and I try not to buy
Chinese goods (not easy to do these days, seems everything is
either Chinese or expensive).

-Jeff
'63B, '65B, '77B, '61 Morris Minor