Leaking rear oil seal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking rear oil seal
From: Jurgman@megaweb.com (Jay Hartwig)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:05:31
Please help me guys.  Gear oil from the rear differential is
leaking into my brake drums(right hand side only), via the oil
seal, oil seal collar.  My B is a '78 model with the later
type rear end.  I've replaced the oil seal several times to no
avail.  I noticed that there is a small groove worn into the
collar that the oil seal surrounds.  Suspecting that this
groove might be the problem I exchanged the collar from the
left hand side with the right hand side.  I also took the
tensioning spring out of a new oil seal and took it apart, cut
off some of it, and put it back together, making the fit
tighter than original.  It still leaks, but not as much.  Do
Ireplace the oil seal collar and oil seal and hope this solves
the problem(as of today, I've only replaced the oil seal)?
Could there be some free play in the bearings that is allowing
my axle to move around, thereby allowing oil to penetrate
crevices between the oil seal and collar.
Has anyone else had this same experience?  Please email me if
you have any questions.

Thanks
Jay