Re: Kingpin question...

To: Bart Schwartz <bschwartz@dttus.com>
Subject: Re: Kingpin question...
From: "Christopher W. Reichle" <Christopher.W.Reichle@students.Miami.EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 12:46:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Bart Schwartz wrote:

>      I seem to remember a thread awhile back when someone mentioned that
>      his LBC handled like a truck.  I am having a similar problem with my
>      '76 Midget.  The guy at the garage said I need a new kingpin because
>      mine is bent.  In light of that,  I have few questions:
>
>      1) Is the kingpin the likely culprit of my steering problems or will
>      other parts need to be replaced as well?
Possibly, if you jack up the car and play around with a pry bar a little
you may be able to see it move. I could see mine move. I also had a
clunck when turning the wheel while parking

>      2) How much should a new kingpin cost?  I think VB wanted $80.  Could I
>      pick up a good used one?
I doubt that the kingpin is bent. More likely the bearings are shot. They
do sell a kit to replace the whole hunk o metal and they sell a kit for
the bearings and other parts for about $110. I went with the cheap kit
and found that although I was advised that you don't need a kingpin reamer
you do. Or in my case you hoan with a brake cylinder hoan very carefully
till the kingpin just fits. I would surely buy the whole hunk o metal
than do that again. Mos if the parts were extreemly hard to get apart.
especially the trunion bolt on top. I ended up cutting my old kingpins
out and using new trunions. The new trunions were actually used and I
needed a butane torche and a lot of hammering to get them off the used
kingpins. If I had to buy them new they are about $90.

To make a long story short... try greasing the kingpin nibs. See iof it
gets any better. If not I would go with the pre reamed kingpin set for
the extra money. It will save you time and money over all.

>      3) How difficult should it be to put a new one on?  Do I need any
>      special tools?  Am I going to be half way through this and realize I
>      have to have the car towed because I can't get the wheel back on?

Probably, see above

>      I am a little concerned about trying this myself because it took me
>      about 4 hours just to figure out how to put a new alternator in.  I'm
>      still learning where everything is.

There are a lot of washers and spacers that have to be adjusted properly
to have steering that the kingpins are not sloppy and not too tight. The
above info is regarding a 1980 B, should apply the same.