New head gasket in.. more queries

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New head gasket in.. more queries
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 00:13:32 -0400
For those of you not following along in your books, I had poor
running, wet plugs, and VERY low compression on 2 & 3 in my '70 Midget
1275.

I pulled the head today and the old copper headgasket surely had gone
bye-bye between 2&3.  I soaked the area with carb cleaner and managed
to remove most of the built-up carbon thereon.  Cleaned the surfaces,
replaced the coolant-hose-to-cylinder-head-bypasss-hose with a new
piece (had to cut the old one up to remove the head), installed new
gasket and torqued the head down.  All seems well.

Sworked on getting the carbies and exhaust re-attached and finally
found the "easy" way to do it:

  1. Bolt the exhaust header up to the two outside studs mostly tight.

  2. Attach the fat washers and nuts to the other studs just a few
     turns.

  3. Slide the intake manifold behind the washers, click it into
     place, tighten everything down.

That done, I reattached coolant hoses, filled the system, and decided
to give it a whirl.  Crank-crank-crank-crank-crank-crank-crank.
Hmmm....  I examined the fuel filter and noticed that it was only
about 1/5 full of fuel.  Ah-ha!  So I turned the ignition switch to
position II and waited.  Pudda-pudda-pudda-pudda went the fuel pump,
and I could feel the pulses up at the fuel filter, but the filter was
NOT filling up with fuel.  I removed the gas cap and dumped some more
fuel in.  Still no luck, decided to call it quits for the night.

It was 10 PM at this point, and I have no garage.  I don't even have a
driveway.  I have to park the Midget behind the Bronco and lower the
tailgate for a workbench.  Then drag out a Halogen worklight when
things get dark.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on my fuel-pumping dillema?  I
definitely DO have gas now, as the guage registered 1/4 tank after
dumping in a little extra.  Perhaps I have some REALLY nasty sediment
lodged before the fuel filter?  Strange, though, as there is
absolutely no dirt or rust hanging out in the filter now.

Thanks in advance.

--
|                Matt Liggett <mliggett@indiana.edu>                 |
|              http://seven.ucs.indiana.edu/~mliggett/               |