Re: MGB, is it unibody or frame?

To: "Robert J. Donahue" <rdonahue@holli.com>
Subject: Re: MGB, is it unibody or frame?
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 14:48:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> Is the MGB unibody or does it have a frame? If I buy one that is rusting
> underneath will it go sway-back on me? I looked at a prospect yesterday. The
> door and rocker on the drivers side both had a crack or tear. Is this a sign
> of poor structural integrity, or just some body work that needs to be done?
>
> Thanks in advance from a poor bewildered shopper.

I'm a fellow shopper, not an owner, so I'm not defensive.  It's a
unibody, and although it is a strong one, it can deteriorate to the point
of folding in the middle.  One can, for a fairly reasonable price, buy a
complete replacement body, so even an extremely rusty B can be resurrected.

If your prospect is from a non desert area, it is likely to need at least
new inner membrane and outer sills (the basic structure holding the front
and rear halves together).  This is a significant job, but acceptable if
the price of the car reflects the work needed.  The door crack is
(probably) a vertical crack below the rear corner of the quarter window.
It is par for the course in an unrestored car ("they all do that").  A new
door skin or a welded reinforcement will be needed.

So yes, they can be weakened by rust, but all can be fixed.  Just be sure
the price reflects the condition.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910