Re: MGB Propeller Shaft Universal Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Propeller Shaft Universal Question
From: jcatford@rsvs.ulaval.ca (Jean-Guy Catford)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 15:18:08 -0400
I have a 73 MGB and the last time I replace U-joint they have a plug or a
long fitting in the box. I previously had the same problem you described. I
decided to install it without the fitting. As in MG's U-joint,longevity
depends on the lubrication! Once a year I remove the plug, put the long
fitting on the joint, grease it and reinstall the plug.

J.G.Catford
Quebec
canada

>I got no responses on this last time, so I'll rephrase and try again:
>
>BACKGROUND:
>'79 MGB Existing front universal had a lube fitting, the rear was sealed
>
>The Owner's manual and the maintenance items section of the factory manual
>don't show the universals as a maintenance item...
>
>HOWEVER, both the factory manual and Haynes show a picture of the propeller
>shaft showing a long-necked lube fitting at the front universal!
>
>QUESTION:
>Were sealed universals stock on '79 MGB's?
>
>WHY DO I WANT TO KNOW?
>I don't want to have to remove a drive shaft prematurely to remove a broken
>off zerk fitting.
>
>The front universal I removed had a fitting broken off at the base.  When I
>installed a new universal (shipped with fitting) I noticed the fitting limi=
ts
>the universal travel to almost nothing!  I installed a short fitting.  I
>ordered the back uni' separately, and got the same fitting.
>
>If you've done a universal replacement with fittings on a late model 'B, I'=
>be grateful if you'd crawl under your car and tell me if you still have
>fittings, or whether they were broken off by the last big dip in the road.
>
>Thanks in advance for answers,
>
>Sean Johnson
>'79 MGB

                                     t=E9l.: 418-656-
Pav. Charles-Eug=E8ne Marchand         fax.: 418-656-
Universit=E9 Laval                     Internet:  @rsvs.ulaval.ca
Qu=E9bec, Qu=E9bec, Canada
G1K 7P4