MGB tries to self-start!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB tries to self-start!
From: litton@bev.net (Dale Osterndorf)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 17:05:27 +0600
The experience of the self starting MGB reminds me of my own similar experience.

 One evening as it was starting to snow, I proceeded down the driveway with
car cover in hand toward my B only to find no B to cover! After accusing
everyone including the family dog of moving the car and receiving denials, I
began to fear the worst. Before calling the police, I decided to check to
see if it had rolled down the street, as we sit at the top of a hill. No
car. As I proceeded back up the street, I happened to look in my neighbors
lawn only to see my B at the top of their lawn (their house sits on top of a
fairly large hill) perched on top of their beloved Japanese cherry tree!
(Luckily we were best of friends and still are. Good thing they had a sense
of humor).

As there was snow on the ground from a previous snowfall, it was obvious
that the car had been "driven" up the hill, struck the tree, knocked it down
and spun the wheels until it finally died. Just wait until I get my hands on
that lousy, no good, @#$ that did this! But how did he get away without
leaving any footprints in the snow? A mystery befitting of Sherlock Holmes!

Not wishing to leave it on the lawn, I proceeded to start the B with no
problem and drive it away. As I was moving it, the starter engaged several
times resulting in teeth clenching, gear grinding noises. Upon inspecting
the wiring, I also found the main battery cable and solenoid wiring had
become brittle and cracked and shorted together causing the starter motor to
engage. How this actually came about I have no clue as the car had been
sitting on the street undisturbed (I think).

They say that truth is stranger than fiction, and in this case it seems to
fit. Reflecting on this, I realize I was lucky that the car decided to drive
off in that path following it's locked steering position. Just ahead and to
the right of the tree was the edge of the yard which sharply dropped off
about 8 feet into the backyard of another house. To the right were my other
neighbors prized azaleas and shrubs, not to mention their new car. Down the
street were cars and . . . well you get the idea. I can only imagine what it
would be like to be an innocent bystander seeing this driverless car
starting up and taking off!

I guess it probably didn't help the situation any that I left the B in first
gear with the parking brake disengaged to prevent it from freezing. It may
not have helped to have left the manual choke pulled after moving it out of
the driveway. I don't now if it actually started, however when the starter
engages, the ignition coil is energized which back energizes the electrical
system. Hmmm. Starter, ignition, fuel . . . How many lessons can we learn
from this? Can you say battery cut-off switch?

Thought you might enjoy this "just another day driving (and chasing) a
British car" story.

72 MGB
73 Lotus Europa
76 TR6