My car will not Idle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: My car will not Idle
From: RobBerning@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 20:00:25 -0400
I am having another problem!

I was adjusting the mixture on my 1972 MGB, to try to smooth out the idle and
stop the minor backfire problem.  I though I just screwed up and thru the
mixture completely out.  So I reset the mixture, turned it all the way up and
then backed it down 2 turns.  I would barely start with the choke out. After
adjusting it down,up, then back down more, it starts if it press the gas
peddle, but will not idle.  I think it might be a leak in the manifold, but
before I pull the carb out I wanted to check. Or, did I just do something
wrong?

Background:

Just had the car tuned up by a Non-British Mechanic, and Replaced the
Distributor.  It ran ok but seemed to need a little fine tuning, rough idle
and slight backfire after lifting of the gas.  Therefore, ignition is ok,
fuel delivery is ok, and valves ok.